Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Frequently Asked Questions
Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety belong to a group of medicines called beta-blockers. It is used to help treat a variety of illnesses such as:
- treat high blood pressure, an enlarged heart muscle or tremors
- treat angina pectoris (pain in the chest caused by blockages in the arteries leading to the heart) or high blood pressure caused by a tumour near a kidney (phaeochromocytoma)
- help prevent additional heart attacks
- control irregular or fast heartbeats
- control fast heart rate and other symptoms caused by an overactive thyroid gland
- reduce migraine attacks
- calm people who are anxious or worried
- prevent stomach bleeding in patients with high blood pressure in their liver or swollen blood vessels in their gullet.
You can buy Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety online at registered pharmacies such as e-Surgery or through your local GP.
The NHS website has more information about Propranolol tablets online if required.
Beta-blockers such as Propranolol tablets work mainly by slowing down the heart. They do this by blocking the action of stress related hormones like adrenaline preventing your heart from pumping faster.
When you buy Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety it will help reduce the physical reactions to feeling anxious such as:
- a fast heart rate
- shaky voice and hands
Beta-blockers work best to manage short term anxiety but will not treat underlying psychological causes.
Each individual will respond to medication differently, especially when it comes to treating mental health issues like anxiety. You may need additional treatment options for your anxiety alongside beta-blockers to help manage psychological effects.
When you buy Propranolol online for situational anxiety or from your local GP always take the medication exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has advised. Please ensure you read the patient information leaflet for Propranolol for situational anxiety before purchase.
The most common dosage of Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety, is 40mg, before a stressful situation or two to three times a day with a review after 6-12 months. Other dosages of Propranolol are 10mg and 20mg, your prescribed dosage will depend on what you are trying to treat.
Follow the directions of your prescriber on how often you should be taking the tablets for effective treatment.
Always swallow Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety whole with a glass of water, taking the medication with a meal can reduce some side effects.
Propranolol tablets are severely toxic if used in overdose. If you have accidentally taken more than the prescribed dose or are experiencing symptoms of overdose, you should urgently seek medical attention.
If you buy Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety online or order them from your local GP and commence treatment it usually takes 30-60 minutes for the effects of the medication to become noticeable.
Most people who take propranolol for situational anxiety use the medication about one hour before any stress-inducing events.
Yes, Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety can be taken up to three times daily or as prescribed by your GP. Situational anxiety treatments such as Propranolol tablets and other beta-blockers can work differently for different people. If you feel you require a higher or dose of Propranolol tablets or feel they are no longer effective, contact your GP or prescriber and they will be able to find the correct treatment.
Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety are not a physically addictive medication. It is possible to become accustomed to the feeling of relaxation propranolol tablets provide, especially if you often experience social anxiety. Used according to your doctor’s instructions, propranolol is a safe medication.
Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety can be used to provide short-term relief in intense, anxiety inducing situations be reliving some of the physical symptoms of anxiety. Although propranolol tablets will not necessarily get rid of the mental effects of anxiety it can help to reduce the physical discomfort.
Alternatives to reducing anxiety instead of Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety include:
- Be active, exercise and physical activity has been proven to improve anxiety
- Take care of yourself and reduce workplace stress
- Avoid unhealthy habits such as smoking, recreational drugs, unhealthy foods, excessive drinking, and excessive caffeine
- Speak to your GP openly and find a solution, this could include counseling or therapy
As with all medication, when you buy Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety online or from your local GP, you may experience side effects. Please read the patient information leaflet before you commence treatment with this medication to familiarise yourself with the ingredients and side effects.
Some common side effects of Propranolol tablets include:
- cold extremities
However, these side effects should disappear once you have become accustomed to the medication.
Other common side effects include:
- odd dreams/nightmares
- a slow or irregular heartbeat
- Raynaud’s syndrome
If any side effects are persistent and cause you distress or you have an allergic reaction to the medication, you should seek medical attention immediately.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines, especially:
- medicines to treat heart diseases such as verapamil, diltiazem, nifedipine, nisoldipine, nicardipine, isradipine, lacidipine, and dihydropyridine
- medicines to treat irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) such as disopyramide, quinidine, flecainide, amiodarone, propafenone
- ergotamine derivates or rizatriptan (to treat migraine)
- adrenaline (epinephrine) (used in anaphylactic shock)
- medicines to treat diabetes such as insulin
- lidocaine (to treat irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) or as a local anaesthetic)
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID) such as indometacin
- medicines to treat heart conditions (digitalis glycosides) such as digoxin
- chlorpromazine and thioridazine (for mental illness)
- cimetidine (to treat stomach ulcers)
- other medicines to treat high blood pressure such as alpha blockers, clonidine, moxonidine, methyldopa or hydralazine
- levodopa (used in Parkinson’s disease)
- monoamine-oxidase inhibitors, imipramine or fluvoxamine (to treat depression)
- warfarin (to prevent clotting)
- rifampicin (to treat infection)
- barbiturates (to treat severe insomnia)
- theophylline (treating asthma and reversible airways obstruction)
- medicines to clear excess water from the body (diuretics)
- medicines to treat high blood pressure or difficulty passing urine such as prazosin
- smoking tobacco
There is no reaction between Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety and food.
It is not recommended to drink alcohol whilst taking Propranolol tablets as it can increase certain side effects such as dizziness and light-headedness. If you do drink it is recommended to stay under the national alcohol recommendation.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before you buy Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety online or from your local GP if you:
- have a history of allergic reactions
- suffer with muscle weakness (myasthenia gravis)
- have a heart weakness or first-degree heart block
- have kidney or liver disease
- suffer from blood circulation problems (which may cause your fingers and toes to tingle or turn pale or blue).
- have symptoms of hyperthyroidism (increased appetite, weight loss, sweating)
- suffer with or have a history of psoriasis
- suffer from Raynaud’s disease (cold sensations in fingers and toes) or intermittent claudication (narrowing of arteries in the legs causing pain when walking)
- You are a smoker
- You are elderly
If you buy Propranolol tablets store them in a cool, dry place away from children as per instruction of the Propranolol tablets patient information leaflet.
Do not use Propranolol tablets after the expiry date on the box, when you buy Propranolol tablets online always check the date when they arrive.
You can buy Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety online from registered online prescribers such as e-Surgery.
Whenever you buy Propranolol tablets online or any other medication, make sure you check for the green GPhC and MHRA logo on the bottom of each page of the website you are using.
You can use the GPhC website to check if a pharmacy is registered. This will ensure that when you buy Propranolol tablets online they will be genuine.
You can find out more in the Propranolol tablets online patient information leaflet on the NHS or Patient Info website.
You can also use our completely free Ask-a-Pharmacist service to get health advice from a trained professional. We’re here to help!
e-Surgery uses Royal Mail delivery with choices starting from Royal Mail 48 tracked delivery, Royal Mail tracked 24 and Royal Mail 1pm special delivery (discover more about e-Surgery delivery). Whenever you buy Propranolol tablets online they will arrive in discreet, recyclable packaging at a delivery address of your choice. Find out to recycle packaging from e-Surgery.
Whenever you buy Propranolol tablets for situational anxiety online they will come in blister packs that are not currently recyclable, so once they have been used can be disposed of in a general waste bin. If the Propranolol tablets are unfinished dispose of the medication safely and drop them off at a local pharmacy. Cardboard packaging and paper patient information leaflets are recyclable.
For any more information on the disposal of Propranolol tablets, you can use our free Ask-a-Pharmacist service.