Important Facts About Sumatriptan
Most frequent questions and answers about Sumatriptan for treating migraines
Sumatriptan tablets are used to treat migraines. They work by widening blood vessels in the head to relieve symptoms of a migraine attack.
Sumatriptan tablets only treat an active migraine and cannot prevent an attack.
You can NOT take Sumatriptan if:
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients
- You have heart problems
- You have circulation problems
- You have had a stroke
- You have high blood pressue
- You have a serious liver disease
- You are using other migraine medication
- You are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Sumatriptan if:
- You are a heavy smoker
- You are over 40
- You have been through menopause
- You have a history of fits
- You are allergic to sulphonamides
- You are taking serotonin inhibitors
- You are taking St John’s wort
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding you should ask your doctor for advice before taking Sumatriptan tablets.
Don’t breast-feed your baby for 12 hours after using Sumatriptan. If you express milk during this time, discard the milk and don’t give it to your baby.