Frequently Asked Questions
The morning after pill is taken after an incident of unprotected sex to reduce the chances of getting pregnant. It is not 100% effective but if taken within the recommended timeframes the chances of becoming pregnant are extremely low.
Morning after pills contain similar hormones found in normal contraceptive pills. They act to either stop the release of an egg or ovulation, preventing a woman from becoming pregnant. Therefore they will not work if someone is already pregnant.
Levonelle: This morning after pill works up to 72 hours (3 days) after unprotected sex. It is the most commonly prescribed morning after tablet and has proven to be very effective.
ellaOne: A newer version of the morning after pill. It works up to 120 hours (5 days) of unprotected sex. It is also proven to be the most effective tablet when taken within 24hrs.
When used correctly both significantly reduce the chances of getting pregnant. Speak to one of our resident pharmacists to help you decide which treatment option to choose if you are unsure.
- Most commonly prescribed morning after pill, well proven to work.
- Works up to 72 hours (3 days) after unprotected sex.
- Can be taken multiple times in a menstrual cycle.
- Most effective morning after pill available on the market.
- Effective up to 120 hours (5 days) after unprotected intercourse so it is a better choice if.
- Better choice for heavier patients (BMI of 30 or over).
- More effective if you suffer from IBS or malabsorption disorders.
Levonelle is a brand which contains the same active ingredient as the generic version. Both of these pills contain the same ingredients and both are equally effective at preventing pregnancy.
Like with all prescription medication, there are side effects you need to be aware of. The most common side effect of the morning after pill is nausea. This is usually harmless and goes away on it’s own.
You can also experience spotting and breast tenderness. It is normal for your next period to be a few days early or few days late, but if this is more then 5 days it is best to get a pregnancy test.
If you experience vomiting or severe diarrhoea within 3 hours of taking either morning after pill, it will not work effectively.