Frequently Asked Questions
Utovlan Norethisterone 5mgis a medication used to delay periods by up to 17 days. Utovlan is the brand name of the active ingredient Norethisterone.
Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg is a hormonal treatment. Norethisterone is like the natural female hormone Progesterone, which plays an important role in the menstrual cycle. A drop in Progesterone levels causes the lining of the womb to break down, causing a period. Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg keeps Progesterone levels stable, delaying the period.
Having a period can be inconvenient, particularly on holiday. Taking Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg allows you to safely postpone a period so you can focus on what’s important to you.
You should take Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg three days before your period is due to begin. Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg takes the form of a tablet which is to be taken 3 times daily (15mg).
e-Surgeryoffers Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg for up to 17 days. Your period will typically start 3 days after you stop taking Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg.
There are precautions you may need to take before using Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg for period delay.
Some women report significant mood changes when taking Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg. In some cases, this has included depressive moods. Depression can be a serious health issue, so if you experience depressive moods when taking Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg, contact your doctor for medical advice.
You should not take Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg if:
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients.
- You are pregnant or believe you might be pregnant.
- If you have experienced unexplained vaginal bleeding.
- You have had, or your family has had, a problem with blood clots.
You should talk to your pharmacist or prescriber before taking Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg. Use our free Ask a Pharmacistservice and we’ll do our best to answer any questions you may have about period delay pills.
The chances of experiencing a blood clot is slightly higher when taking Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg. This chance increases if:
- You are significantly overweight.
- You suffer from Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (Lupus).
- You have had, or have a family history of, blood clots.
- You have a serious or major surgery.
- You would be unable to move for a significant amount of time (e.g. after an operation).
Find out more about blood clots, including how to spot one and preventative measures you can take.
You should talk to your pharmacist or prescriber before taking Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg if you are currently taking any of the following medication:
- Epilepsy medication, such as Phenytoin.
- Antiviral medication used to treat HIV.
- Antibiotics used to treat an infection, such as Tetracyclines.
- Anticancer medicines.
- St John’s Wort.
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
These medications may alter the effect of Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg.
As with all medication, there can be side effects when taking Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg. Side effects that have been known to occur include:
- Breast pain or tenderness
- Mood changes including low mood
Make sure to read the Patient Information Leafletfor a more comprehensive list of possible side effects.
Utovlan is the brand name for Norethisterone. There is no difference between Utovlan Norethisterone 5mg and a generic Norethisterone medication, other than branding and price.