Frequently Asked Questions
Bacterial vaginosis is a common infection that causes unusual vaginal discharge (with a strong fishy smell). A 7 day treatment course of antibiotics will treat this infection, but it can also clear up on its own.
Bacterial vaginosis is not dangerous unless you are pregnant, and often people will not experience any symptoms, though for those who do you can buy antibiotics online from e-Surgery.
Bacterial vaginosis can occur when the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina is disrupted. This can be for multiple reasons, and sometimes there is no clear cause. Some women report that certain synthetic materials or over-washing with scented soaps can disturb this balance. If this happens a combination of antibiotic treatment and small lifestyle changes can often get rid of bacterial vaginosis.
Bacterial vaginosis is generally harmless but can be reoccurring and unpleasant. The common symptoms include:
- Thin, gray, white or green vaginal discharge
- Foul-smelling “fishy” vaginal odor
- Vaginal itching
- Burning during urination
Many women will not experience any symptoms at all. You should see a doctor when:
- You have vaginal discharge that’s new and associated with an odour or fever. Your doctor can help determine the cause and identify signs and symptoms.
- You’ve had vaginal infections before, but the colour and consistency of your discharge seems different this time.
- You have multiple sex partners or a recent new partner. Sometimes, the signs and symptoms of a sexually transmitted infection are similar to those of bacterial vaginosis.
- You try self-treatment for a yeast infection with an over-the-counter treatment and your symptoms persist.
If you have any questions about Bacterial vaginosis you can use our free Ask a Pharmacist service to contact a registered UK pharmacist for advice.
Treatment options for bacterial vaginosis should be discussed with your doctor or pharmacist, but the general treatment will be a short course of antibiotics.
If you buy antibiotic tablets for bacterial vaginosis be aware that there are some possible side effects. These include:
- feeling sick (nausea)
- being sick (vomiting) or diarrhea
- metallic taste in your mouth or a furry tongue
Bacterial vaginosis can be an unpleasant and embarrassing condition that can be easily solved with a quick course of antibiotics, so there is no reason you should suffer from the unpleasant symptoms. It is now easier than ever to seek out treatment by ordering online from e-Surgery prescription service and pharmacy.
Yes, you can buy antibiotic bacterial vaginosis treatment online from registered online prescribers such as e-Surgery.
When buying bacterial vaginosis treatment, or any other medication online, always make sure the site you use displays the green GPhC logo. This means this is a registered pharmacy and a regulated seller of medication.
Please have a look at the NHS Bacterial Vaginosis page for more useful information about bacterial vaginosis.
If you have any more questions don’t hesitate to use our completely free Ask-a-Pharmacist service. We’re here to help!
e-Surgery is the UK’s leading online Prescriber & Pharmacy focused on sustainability. We are regulated by the GPhC to provide you with a safe, simple, and legal way to order your medication online.
We only ever sell genuine UK medication for your safety.