What You Need To Know About Isotrexin Gel
Our most frequent questions and answers about this acne gel.
Isotrexin Gel is a prescription acne treatment containing a combination Isotretinoin (a retinoid) and Erythromycin (an antibiotic). It works by reducing oil production in the skin and killing the bacteria that cause spots.
Isotrexin Gel is used to treat acne (spots) in young people who are going through or have gone through puberty, and in adults. It should not be used by children who have not started puberty. Isotrexin Gel helps to:
- loosen blackheads and whiteheads so that they come out more easily
- stop new blackheads, whiteheads and spots from forming
- reduce the number of red, swollen acne spot
1. Wash your hands.
2. Completely remove any make-up.
3. Wash the area with a mild soap and warm water, and dry gently.
4. Put a thin layer of gel on the affected skin, using your fingertips, and smooth in.
5. Apply to all of the area of your skin which has acne, not just each spot.
6. Wash your hands after using the Isotrexin gel.
If you use too much Isotrexin Gel, or use it more frequently than you should, it may cause redness, peeling or
irritation of your skin. If this happens, use the gel less often or stop using it for a few days and then start again. Using more gel than you should will not help your spots clear up more quickly.
If you accidentally swallow Isotrexin Gel.
The ingredients of Isotrexin Gel should not be harmful if swallowed in small amounts.
• If you accidentally get Isotrexin Gel in your mouth, rinse at once with plenty of water
• Talk to a doctor if you swallow a lot of Isotrexin Gel.
If you forget to use Isotrexin Gel
- Do not apply a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
- Apply the next dose at the usual time.
Use Isotrexin Gel once or twice each day as directed by your doctor. Your doctor will tell you exactly how to use the medicine.
- It can take 6 to 8 weeks before you see the benefits of Isotrexin Gel.
- You should keep using the medicine until our doctors tells you otherwise.
- This product is flammable, so keep the gel away from open fire and flames and all sources of ignition during and immediately after you’ve used it.
You should not use Isotrexin Gel if you:
- are allergic to isotretinoin or any of the other ingredients in this medicine
- are pregnant, think you could be pregnant or are planning to become pregnant
- are breast-feeding
Some of the possible side effects of using Isotrexin Gel are:
- The most common side effect is skin dryness, peeling and irritation. This usually goes away after a few weeks of use.
- Greater sensitivity of your skin to sunlight. Avoid tanning beds and wear sun protection as necessary.
- Possible changes in the pigmentation of skin.
- Stomach pain or diarrhoea. IMPORTANT: Stop using Isotrexin Gel and contact your doctor right away if you experience prolonged diarrhoea or stomach pains.
Isotrexin Gel is known to be teratogenic. This means that it can be harmful to the baby if you become pregnant. Because of this, it is important to use protection such as barrier methods (condoms) or the contraceptive pill.